Thursday 8 January 2015

In a deep freeze.


There is something about being confined to your home against your will that is not as cozy or comforting as choosing to stay in on your own. We are in a deep freeze. Getting to -45C at the coldest. Vehicles are not starting. Schools are having indoor recesses. Which is unheard of here. The québécois are tough. They love the winter. So this was new. Different. 

So here we are stuck at home. Going stir crazy. We were busy trying new ways to explore our home. To play together. We read many books. Re-read said books, played play-dough, played camping, and caught up on laundry. Well that was more me rather then the kiddos. 

Madeline has begun some sort of stealthy movement. I put her down with her basket of toys, while I am turning our kettle on or picking something up, girl has somehow moved across the room. She has yet to reveal to anyone how she is getting from point A to point B but she is quick and quiet about it. I find it strange and comical.

My better half left Wednesday for a three month training program. On the first morning I woke up alone.  I groggily went downstairs, got the kettle boiling, turned on the empty coffee pot. Warmed milk for the little boys. Took me a few moments as I went through my routine to realize the coffee pot wasn't needed. It's sad but empowering at the same time. I keep telling myself, I can do this, I got this. The kids are all in such a good routine it should be fine. It won't be easy but we will power through. I know that for my husbands career to move forward he needs to go away sometimes. I want to support that. Stressing him about home is not going to help. So we deal. I'm sure we will have good days along with the bad but probably mostly good. 

Rhys is back at school despite his efforts to never return. He had a hard time going back. I do believe as the week goes on that will change. I will give him credit for all his creativity preparing reasons why he should not go to school. He was so serious about it too. Why won't life give you a heads up when you need a video camera ready?

So we will try and stay warm. Hope for these tempetures to break so we can go even for a small stroll in our winter wonderland. The boys are dying to pull Madeline in her new sled.

Xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment